LIBE 467 Theme 2 Blog

 Theme 2 Reflection Blog

Before this course, I had not heard of the term 'reference services' and thought it simply meant providing access to reference materials. I realize now this is a far more complex topic and my definition of references was limited, especially in regard to the librarian's role in providing reference services.   This theme made me examine the effectiveness of references services in my library, as well as the quality of the collection.
Bitmoji, 2022

Evaluating the Reference Collection and Reference Services

When evaluating my current situation, I feel it makes sense for me to start with the collection itself as I believe it is the foundation of the library learning commons, and the bones of its structure. The roles of teacher librarian in instruction, resource management and leadership in resource-based learning, require a quality diverse collection in order to be optimally successful. Unfortunately, the reference collection at my school is below standards according to the Canadian Association for School Libraries' information literacy standards (2003).  As mentioned in my first blog, this collection has never been weeded and is overcrowded with worn outdated books from several decades ago. 
 
Image ID: 683143795 (Shutterstock, 2022).

While there is an automated cataloging system, many resources are catalogued incorrectly or missing from the shelves. As it is a small budget, there is not enough money to replenish materials or have a full staff.  Currently there are few print reference materials and those that exist are outdated and poorly circulated.  Circulation statistics suggest most reference materials and non-fiction materials have only been circulated a handful of times in the past 15 years, if at all. There has never been a trained technician or librarian in the position, which has made for a complicated situation. Riedling suggests elementary schools are likely to have a much larger print collection than a digital collection, which is an accurate representation of this and other elementary libraries in the district (2019).  There are few digital resources available and the ones that are available are rarely used.
 
According to Riedling, the role of the teacher librarian in reference services is to provide access to quality resources in a variety of formats and help students use the library to find information that meets their needs (2019).  The teacher librarian teaches informational and critical literacy skills so students can effectively locate materials and evaluate information (Riedling, 2019).  This role also includes creating environments where students can collaborate and participate in a variety of learning opportunities (Riedling, 2019). In an effort to assist students, Riedling suggests the teacher librarian know how to effectively partake in a reference interview, a process of determining the needs of the clientele through questioning, in order to efficiently help them locate relevant materials (2019).  While I agree with her premise, I found the process to be outdated and detached. 
Image ID: 538740178 (Shutterstock, 2022)
Her description depicts the teacher librarian as the gatekeeper of information and students as passive consumers of information, rather than active participants in their learning. This contradicts the standards outlined in the Canadian Library Association's, Leading Learning Standards of Practice for the School Library Learning Commons in Canada where students are empowered as learners in a participatory culture (2014).  
 
There were several points throughout this theme that resonated with me and allowed me to reflect on my current situation and future plans. While my focus has been on the collection, it is necessary I focus more of my efforts on collaborative partnerships with teachers and increase time spent teaching information, digital and critical literacy skills to students (UBC, 2022b).  Riedling focuses heavily on helping individual students, but it is necessary the teacher librarian's role in providing reference services also emphasizes group or class instruction (UBC, 2022a).  
Image ID: 397788388 (Shutterstock, 2022)
Focusing on class instruction and collaboration with teachers is a critical aspect of reference services and one I am working towards but need to increase my efforts (UBC, 2022a).  When I first started at the school, I made the mistake of simply offering to help.  I have since learned the importance of connecting with teachers, gaining an understanding of what they are specifically working on with students, and offering concrete ways I can assist with research and inquiry projects (UBC, 2022a).  In order to dispel misconceptions that the librarian is solely a resource manager, it is critical that teacher librarians promote their educational role as instructional and collaborative partners (UBC, 2022c).  
 
Promoting materials and ensuring staff and students have open access to resources is paramount (UBC, 2022c). Up until now, I have been increasing signage in the library and clearing out excess books to make it easier for students to find items, but I had not considered the location and accessibility of reference materials, such as dictionaries, and thesauruses in the school.  I have also not given the digital resources available the attention and promotion they need.  Students all have access to the school's online materials from home, but they only know what resources are available and the needed passwords. In the fall, I gave a brief lesson on accessing the online catalogue but this was limited. In the future I want to increase my reference services by spending more time on informational and digital literacy skills, such as using lessons through Mediasmarts.ca or delving deeper into the use of Kids World Book Online.  Reference services is a much broader concept that I initially thought.  Now that I have a better understanding of the scope and application of reference services, I feel better prepared to focus my attention to areas of need in my school. 

References:

The annual report of the Ontario Library (n.d). Accessola.com. Retrieved February 19, 2022, from https://accessola.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/ (Links to an external site.) /2013-OLA-Annual-Report.pdf

Bitmoji (2022). Personal Bitmoji image. [Image]. Bitmoji.com https://www.bitmoji.com/

Canadian Association for School Libraries (CASL) 2003. Achieving information literacy standards for school library programs in canada. Retrieved from http://accessola2.com/SLIC-Site/slic/ail110217.pdf

Riedling, A. M., & Houston, C. (2019). Reference skills for the school librarian: Tools and tips. Libraries Unlimited.

Shutterstock (2022).  Image ID: 683143795 [Image]. Shutterstock, 2022. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/hand-man-suit-making-on-ok-683143795

Shutterstock (2022).  Image ID: 397788388  [Image]. Shutterstock, 2022. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/school-teacher-teaching-students-learning-concept-397788388  

Shutterstock (2022).  Image ID: 538740178  [Image]. Shutterstock, 2022. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/gatekeeper-front-keyhole-3d-rendering-538740178  

University of British Columbia (2022a). Lesson 5: The reference interview: Cooperative program planning and teaching for personalized inquiry.  Retrieved February 6, 2022 from https://canvas.ubc.ca/courses/84997/pages/lesson-5-the-reference-interview-cooperative-program-planning-and-teaching-for-personalized-inquiry?module_item_id=3995258

University of British Columbia (2022b).  Lesson 6: Managing the reference collection.  Retrieved February 13, 2022 from https://canvas.ubc.ca/courses/84997/pages/lesson-6-managing-the-reference-collection?module_item_id=3995261

University of British Columbia. (2022c).  Lesson 7: Evaluating reference services .  Retrieved February 19, 2022 from https://canvas.ubc.ca/courses/84997/pages/lesson-7-evaluating-reference-services?module_item_id=3995263

Comments

Hi Rachelle,
I like that you mention the importance of not just helping the individual, but being available to whole classes and teacher collaboration, regarding the reference materials as well as the whole collection and digital and critical literacy skills. It sounds like you have a big job ahead of you getting your collection updated and established but you are right to place importance on the relationships with teachers and their students to open the door to collaborative efforts.

Popular Posts