LIBE 477 Assignment 1 Part C

 Reading Review Part C

When I selected the keywords for my reading review, I knew my topics were broad, but I do not think I understood how extensive they were until I began my research. The terms I searched for during my Reading Review Part B were:
  • Digital Literacy
  • Digital Tools
  • Meaningful Integration of Technology
  • Creating a Makerspace (on a limited budget).
  • Digital Curation
Image ID: 181161002, Shutterstock, n.d.

Unsurprisingly, the searches in the UBC library database for 'digital literacy' were virtually endless. I narrowed the search by adding the keyword 'elementary' which helped narrow the focus to more relevant results. While I did peruse some of the journal articles, I found the array of books to be the most valuable.  These were the sources that provided hands-on lesson ideas and useful strategies for the classroom and library. I also explored Twitter with more than a passing glance for the first time!  I was impressed, but also a little overwhelmed by the ideas, sources, and links available. Through this search I came across the MediaSmarts account which was useful as it is a resource I had looked at previously but not in as much depth as I had wanted.  This prompted me to explore the site more thoroughly. This site is a rich source of lessons and programs for students that connect directly to the BC curriculum.  

MediaSmarts.ca, 2022

It became apparent pretty quickly that 'meaningful integration of technology' and 'digital tools' were very much one and the same and I found 'digital tools' to be the most useful search term for locating relevant resources.  As with 'digital literacy', I added the keyword 'elementary' to reduce the number of irrelevant results and still found an enormous list of sources.  Most articles were curriculum specific, for example, tools to integrate into science lessons or enhance mathematical problem-solving lessons. Many articles were designated to digital storytelling which is an area of particular interest to me. My Twitter searches also connected me to many profiles made by technology savvy librarians who share digital tools and technology examples from their schools.  For example, Elaina Kloecker is one of many teacher librarians I discovered who demonstrates tools she uses with students (n.d.).  I also followed Apple Education and found this to be relevant as we have iPads available in the library for student use.

There were thousands of results when searching 'makerspace' both through the UBC Library site as well as on the internet.  As with the other searches, I realized immediately it was necessary to include the keyword 'elementary' and filter the search to education and library services.  This too yielded an extensive list, so I added the keyword 'budget' which helped narrow the results. I learned a variety of ways to establish a makerspace using limited supplies, as well as ways to bring in low-cost materials for storytelling and problem-solving opportunities that can be adapted depending on supplies (Cox, 2018).
 
Pieces of White Jigsaw on Wood (Freepik, 2022)
I would argue 'digital curation' is one of the topics of most value to me at this point in my career but it was also the most challenging to locate resources. I do not know if different keywords would have yielded better results or if this is more indicative of the kind of information I was seeking. When I am in a more permanent position, I would like to create a website with curated links and resources, but this is an area I feel I know little about. After this research process, I feel this may be one of those topics one needs to learn by exploring interrelated topics such as, how to build a website and education links, and learning from others' examples. I also searched 'evaluation and selection of digital resources' as I feel it goes hand in hand with curation of digital resources, but I did not find many results. I suspect the skills for assessing print resources apply the same way and therefore this is not a common topic.

Bitmoji, 2022
In the end, what pleasantly surprised me was the trove of information, ideas, and valuable sources found on Twitter. I am not sure why this surprised me as I know social media is a powerful tool, but I have always shied away from social media as it is out of my comfort zone.  What I noticed through this process was a shift in myself as a researcher and how my goals have changed over the years. As an undergraduate student, I loved reading theories and case studies found in peer-reviewed journals. While I still find background information and studies to be pertinent to understanding educational approaches and pedagogies, nothing is more exciting than discovering a resource with hands-on practical strategies and tools I can apply in a meaningful way in the library learning commons. For my future vision project, I would like to create something practical and meaningful, but I am still weighing my options.

 

References:


Apple Education [@AppleEDU] (n.d.). Tweets. [Twitter profile]. Twitter. Retrieved February 2, 2022, from https://twitter.com/AppleEDU Bitmoji (2022). Personal image. [image]. Bitmoji.com https://www.bitmoji.com/

Cox, M., & ProQuest (Firm). (2018). The elementary school library makerspace: A start-up guide.  Libraries Unlimited.
 
Freepik (n.d.).  Pieces of white jigsaw on wood.   [image}.  Freepik.  https://www.freepik.com
/search?format=search&query=puzzle
 
Kloecker, Elaina [@ElainaKloecker] (n.d..). Tweets. [Twitter profile]. Twitter. Retrieved February 1, 2022, from https://twitter.com/ElainaKloecker
 
MediaSmarts. (n.d.). Retrieved February 1, 2022, from https://mediasmarts.ca/ 
 
 Shutterstock (n.d).   Image Item ID: 1811610025.[image]. Shutterstock. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/iceberg-visible-tip-underwater-submerged- part-1811610025
 






Comments

D.McNee said…
This is a strong post that outlines your process, research, thinking and learning thus far. I appreciate your comments about finding a balance between the academic and the practical. I also appreciate your mention of Twitter. One of the best things about social media is that you get to chose who you follow. If you end up finding a lot of negative or uninteresting information in your feed you can tweak who you follow. Once you are following the right people your feed can be an absolute treasure trove! The key then becomes finding a healthy balance. Looking forward to seeing where this learning takes you.

Popular Posts