LIBE 477 Inquiry Blog Post #3

 

Strategies for Supporting Teachers’ ICT Curriculum and Pedagogy

Of all roles assigned to the teacher librarian, ICT leader concerns me the most.  I have never felt tech savvy or confident enough in my knowledge to lead myself, let alone others! While I understand this is a defining role for teacher librarians and one I continue to strive for, the thought of leading my colleagues in technology, innovation and professional development is a frightening prospect.

Image ID563445361, Shutterstock, 2022

As suggested in module 7, libraries often have professional resources for teachers to sign out, but they are not necessarily meeting the individual needs of staff (UBC, 2022). Our library has a professional collection that is rarely circulated.  Most teachers attend workshops of personal interest through the district or spend their own time conducting independent research that is relevant to their teaching and classrooms.  Through my research and reflecting back to the previous inquiry post, I considered different ways I could support teachers through both formal and informal professional development opportunities.

In order to meet the needs of educators and personalize professional development options, I need to understand which topics and areas of learning are of interest to teachers. I have learned from my first teacher librarian experience that it is critical to always have one ear to the ground and learn what teachers are doing with their classes and what they are discussing.
Bitmoji, 2022

Through conversations in the staff room and brief side conversations after school, I have been able to gain a better understanding of teachers' needs and interests.  As Miller and Bass argue, it is important to know the school community and recognize when it is the right time to implement a particular tool or topic that can enhance student learning (2019). In addition to listening to teachers' concerns and learning the school community's initiatives and goals, sending out a survey is a good way to determine specific topics of interest before designing or promoting professional development opportunities.  This data can enable the teacher librarian to tailor events and workshops accordingly.

While I often feel inadequate in many areas of ICT, there are topics and tools I am comfortable with and can teach others.  Offering professional development on topics where I am knowledgeable is an obvious place to start. These opportunities could take place during staff meetings as a quick tool share or through collaborative efforts with teachers. For example, a staff member and I recently discussed ways to share students' writing with classmates and I suggested WriteReader.  Because I did not want to add more to her plate, I taught her students to use the tool and they created digital books during their library blocks.  At a staff meeting, I briefly introduced the tool and gave teachers a "crash course" on the website.  More teachers were interested and now almost all classes have signed up. I have taught their students to use the tool as well. It is a small example, but something I felt confident teaching and because students learned the tool under my instruction, it allowed the teachers to feel more confident integrating it into their class time. 

One of the reasons I lack confidence as a technology expert, is that there are a few teachers in my school who are far more tech savvy than myself.  I find myself wondering how I can lead them when they know more than I do! As colleagues, we all have strengths and can learn from one another.  Although it is my role to lead and support others in ICT curriculum professional development, this does not necessarily mean I need to be the one teaching, but rather I can coordinate opportunities for others to share their expertise.  Organizing professional development workshops could mean facilitating speakers, whether it be knowledgeable teaching staff or other teacher librarians, as well as guest speakers ((Buchanan & Moen, 2021).  When organizing such events, it is key to emphasize the purpose of the event as it relates to student learning.

Informal ways of supporting my colleagues in ICT professional development include sending email updates, tutorials and webinar information.  Sharing the new tools and ideas I have learned through my own professional development can be valuable, especially if they connect personally to something teachers are teaching in their classroom (Holzweiss & Evans, 2018).  If I attend a workshop that is relevant to a colleague, we could implement the new technology in the classroom upon my return (Holzweiss & Evans, 2018). 
File #:  289862202, (Adobe Stock, 2022)

Modeling technology integration and remaining current on technology topics and tools is a subtle way to demonstrate ideas and encourage teachers to participate in new learning opportunities (Donham & Sims, 2020). Using technology with students in my library blocks enables them to return to the classroom with new skills they can then share with the classroom teacher.
 
Coleman provided some excellent tips that resonated with me throughout my inquiry process this week.  She emphasizes that it is important to know your school community and take its needs and elements into consideration when planning professional development (Coleman, 2020).  This was key in reflecting on when to offer learning opportunities for staff. For example, while I think 'lunch and learn' is a promising idea for some schools, it is not suitable for my school.  We have a very small staff and as a result most do not make it to the staff room due to coaching sports, theatre practice, or covering supervision. Often, the staff room is empty at lunch. This tip also allowed me to reflect on my colleagues' strengths and areas of expertise in determining whether planning sessions with other teachers would be feasible. She also recommends not reinventing the wheel.  While new innovative content is important, the way workshops are designed and presented do not necessarily need to be changed (Coleman, 2020).  Coleman suggests looking back on previous sessions one attended and considering what worked best (2020). If possible, connect with the leaders of those workshops for ideas and tips on running your own session.

One of the most powerful takeaways from this inquiry was the suggestion to “think outside the library” and collaborate with others in working together on professional development within the school community (Coleman, 2020). This not only allows for the teacher librarian to connect with and better understand the school community, but it also empowers staff members to share their expertise and grow as professionals. It is also valuable to seek learning opportunities outside of the school, such as asking other teacher librarians or members of the technology department to present as guest speakers.  
File #:  294310625 (AdobeStock, 2022)

I used to think of professional development as a formal workshop carved out in an allotted time slot, but I now realize professional development takes many forms and can happen everyday.  Teacher librarians need to embrace technology and act as role models for colleagues, by regularly implementing technology and digital resources into instruction.  Offering to teach the class or assist the teacher in teaching the class a new technology, takes some of the pressure off of teachers and allows them an opportunity to explore a new tool with support (Holzweiss & Evans, 2018).  I think above all else, the teacher librarian is in a position to influence ICT development by normalizing technology integration and modeling this role for other educators. 

File #:  74121943 (AdobeStock, 2022)

References:

 AdobeStock (2022). File #:  289862202 [Image].  AdobeStock.  https://stock.adobe.com/ca/images/group-people-communicate-by-mobile-application-and-contact-to-business-by-social-network-concept/289862202?prev_url=detail
 
 AdobeStock (2022). File #:  294310625 [Image].  AdobeStock.  https://stock.adobe.com/ca/images/think-outside-the-box-on-school-green-blackboard-startup-education-concept-creative-idea-leadership/294310625?prev_url=detail
 
AdobeStock (2022).  File #:  74121943 [Image].  AdobeStock. https://stock.adobe.com/ca/images/walk-the-talk-concept/74121943?prev_url=detail
 
Bitmoji, (2022).  Personal Bitmoji Image. [Image].  https://www.bitmoji.com/ 

Book creating tool to increase students literacy skills. WriteReader. (2020, November 27). Retrieved February 23, 2022, from https://www.writereader.com/ 
 
Buchanan, S. A., Moen, M. H., & ProQuest (Firm). (2021). Leading professional development: Growing librarians for the digital age. Libraries Unlimited, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC.
 
Coleman, M. C. (2020). School librarians take the lead collaborating on professional development American Library Association.
 
 Donham, J., Sims, C., & EBSCOhost. (2020). Enhancing teaching and learning: A leadership guide for school librarians (Fourth ed.). ALA Neal-Schuman.

Holzweiss, K., & Evans, S. (2018). Hacking school libraries: 10 ways to incorporate library media centers into your learning community. Times 10 Publications.

Miller, S., & Bass, W. L. (2019). Leading from the library: Help your school community thrive in the Digital age. International Society for Technology in Education.

Sturge, J. (2020, February 27). Lunch 'n learn - yummy learning tidbits to takeaway - knowledge quest. AASL. Retrieved February 23, 2022, from https://knowledgequest.aasl.org/lunch-n-learn-yummy-learning-tidbits-to-takeaway/

Shutterstock (2022). Image Item ID: 563445361. [Image]. Shutterstock, 2022.
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/blind-leading-blindfolded-businessmen-following-each-563445361 

University of British Columbia (2022).  Module 7: Supporting teachers’ ICT curriculum and pedagogy: on-going professional development.  Retrieved February 19, 2022 from https://canvas.ubc.ca/courses/84998/pages/module-7-supporting-teachers-ict-curriculum-and-pedagogy-on-going-professional-development?module_item_id=3992057 





Comments

Jodi said…
I really like your thoughts on how you can be a facilitator for pro-d opportunities by connecting the experts on your staff with those who want to learn. We can’t know how to use every program, and why reinvent the wheel if you already have someone who does know?
WriteReader looks like a neat program, I hadn’t seen that one before. I love that you taught the students how to use it first. They catch on so quickly that I’m sure they could teach their teacher all about it afterwards!
Pro-D in the form of a formal workshop will always have its place, but I agree that it is moving more toward daily learning and self-directed programs. Teachers have so much to do, and it only makes sense that they should be free to learn about topics that would benefit their instruction the most in a low stress way.
Hi Rachelle, Your post does an excellent job of stressing that this is a collaborative effort. When you say that "I can coordinate opportunities for others to share their expertise", you hit the nail on the head. We are in a good position to be the coordinators of this ICT development, but not necessarily the all knowing specialists!
Hi Rachelle,
Great post! I love your train of thought and the ideas you share about creating successful pro-d opportunities. Thank you for sharing your tip on WhiteReader. I had never heard of this program and looking at it I can see how much it would benefit classrooms in my school! I love how you said that we don't necessarily have to be the experts but instead we can facilitate for people outside our school to come and show us new ICT skills.

Karla
D.McNee said…
This is a thoughtful and well-research organized post. I appreciated your comments on the importance of listening and being responsive to the needs of your specific school community. The idea that professional development can take many forms and can happen every day is a powerful understanding. The specific example of how you supported your school with WriteReader is a good model for others.

Popular Posts