LIBE 477 Final Vision Project Blog Post 1

 Final Vision Project: A Think Aloud

When I look back on my first blog post for this course, it feels like a lifetime ago!  As I reflected on the key terms, I realized how much I have learned since then and also that my focus and goal has remained the same.  The key terms I chose were:
  • Digital Literacy 
  • Digital Tools 
  • Digital Curation 
  • Meaningful Integration of Technology 
  • Creating a Makerspace (on a limited budget). 
Two themes that have consistently followed me throughout my journey as a new teacher librarian and a student in the teacher librarianship program are collaboration and digital resources.   It makes sense that these are areas I need to focus on moving forward.
Quote from Goodreads.com, n.d.
One of the reasons I find technology and digital resources so overwhelming is the sheer volume of resources available which tends to become muddy in my mind. I have tried to make notes and create lists, but more often than not I forget or quickly make a note on a random sticky at work only to misplace it later.  When I do remember to jot an idea or take a quick photo, I rarely add details, such as the applications of the tools, under the false belief that I will remember!

Freepik, 2022
While I do plan to create a website someday which would include a collection of digital resources, my current focus is to have an efficient organization system where I can curate a collection of digital tools and resources I have discovered throughout this program and my TOC experience. I am currently in a temporary position and do not anticipate a position next year. I will likely be TOCing again and regularly exposed to exciting new ideas and tools I need to take note of in a meaningful way.  Therefore, a digital curation tool is pertinent at this time. My goals for my Final Vision Project are to:
  • Create an organization tool for digital resources 
    • This tool needs to be user-friendly and easily accessible
    • This tool needs to allow me to add notes or provide examples of each tool's use if I so choose, rather than simply providing a name or link. 
  •  Create a curation resource that has the potential for collaborative input that can be easily shared with others. 
When I started exploring curation tools, I was surprised to learn how many were available. Most teachers gained some experience working with different tools during the pandemic. I was a TOC at the time and laid off.  As a result these tools are still quite new to me.  It was overwhelming at first, but I soon realized many, while still useful tools, only provided curated links without options for adding personal notes or lesson suggestions. Many suggested tools such as Lino and Dotstorming appeared in my searches but I found out pretty quickly these were not suitable for my goals.  Dotstorming comes with a fee if one wishes to enable collaborative functions.  It also appears to be best suited for brainstorming and live interactions. Lino allows users to share ideas and photos and collaborate with others but it has, in my opinion, a messy interface and seems more suitable for informal sharing such as with family members.   In the end, it became clear the most effective tools for me were Padlet and Wakelet. 

Padlet

Logo, Mixetmode.com, n.d.

 Padlet is described as an interactive virtual bulletin board designed to organize and share ideas (Stakke, 2021). Users can post links, images, video, and make comments or ask questions. There is a free version and it can be used on virtually any browsing compatible device including laptops, desktop computers, apple devices, chromebooks, and smartphones (Stakke, 2021). Padlet enables the moderator to set privacy levels and determine who can access and contribute to the padlet (Edwards, 2020). While most of the articles and videos I came across suggested ways to use this tool for lessons with students, it works well as a collaborative tool for any group. Users can also follow each other to view a variety of collections.
 

Wakelet

Logo, Wakelet.com, n.d.
Wakelet is a digital curation tool that operates similar to Padlet. Wakelet allows users to create Wakes, or places to compile online resources that are easily accessible. Wakelet is completely free and accessible on any browser. It also has a Chrome Extension. Like Padlet, Wakelet allows the mediator to limit privacy on collections to certain users, or to make them public. The user creates a profile and can include social media links to share collections (Edwards, 2020). Also like Padlet,  users on Wakelet can follow each other in a similar way to social media, but it is accessible to people who do not have Wakelet accounts. Wakelet is user-friendly and allows users to upload content from anywhere on web including videos, podcasts, twitter links, etc (Edwards, 2020). 
 
After watching numerous tutorials on both and exploring reviews on websites, I thought I was leaning towards Wakelet, but when I actually created an account under each and explored on my own, I found Padlet easier to use and I feel this is likely the best option for my final vision project. I also feel that if I want to use this tool for collaboration, I want to ensure other teachers do not feel intimidated when they first log on. I found the Padlet interface has a simpler appearance and would be less overwhelming to those not familiar with the tool than Wakelet. The only obvious downfall of Padlet is the cost. The free version allows for three Padlets which is all I feel I need at this time and the cost to upgrade is $8/month which may be worth it if I used it frequently. There is also a plan available for school districts.  Both resources are extraordinarily similar in their capabilities and in the end, I think it comes down to user preference.
   

References:

Dotstorming. (n.d.). Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://dotstorming.com/

Edwards, L. (2020, October 19). What is Padlet and how does it work for teachers and students? TechLearningMagazine. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://www.techlearning.com/how-to/what-is-padlet-and-how-does-it-work-for-teachers-and-students 

Freepik.com (n.d) Sticky note post-it board office. [Image]. https://www.freepik.com/search?format=search&query=sticky%20notes 

Goodreads.com (n.d). Quote [Image}.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54921854-the-biggest-lie-i-tell-myself-i-don-t-need-to-write-that-down-i-ll-remem?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=hrVpNQL7rO&rank=1 

Padlet: You are beautiful. (n.d.). Retrieved March 13, 2022, from https://padlet.com/

Save, organize and share content. Wakelet. (n.d.). Retrieved March 19, 2022, from https://wakelet.com

Staake, J (2021) Padlet for teachers: The best tips, tricks, and ideas for your classroom. We Are Teachers. Retrieved March 15, 2022, from https://www.weareteachers.com/padlet-for-teachers/ 

Sticky and photo sharing for you. lino. (n.d.). Retrieved March 14, 2022, from http://en.linoit.com/





 

Comments

Jodi said…
I agree with your summary about Padlet- it is likely the platform that I will be using for my project as well! It seems to be user-friendly for both the creator and the intended audience to use. I think that it will be a great way for you to collect all of the new programs and ideas that you will come across. I’m sure that TTOCing will allow you to see many new programs in action as well. I’m with you, if I don’t write it down, it’s forgotten!
I agree with both of you. Although I do like Wakelet, I feel Padlet has a less intimidating appearance. You've both, Jodi and Rachelle, inspired me to start my own Padlet of various resources. I can only have so many bookmarks under each tab in Chrome!
D.McNee said…

You have an excellent foundation here for your final project. I appreciate the way that you have clearly articulated your goals. I also appreciate your reflective narrative of the work you have done so far. Looking forward to seeing what you create!
Thank you for explaining the pros and cons of both Padlet and Wakelet. I have not used these programs but you have inspired me to start looking into creating a padlet board to add all my resources! I went ahead and looked at both and you are right, as someone new to this program, I found Padlet well less intimidating and user friendly! I'm excited to see your final project!
Angie Clifford said…
This is such a great idea! My "system" thus far is a few pages at the back of my binder where I write down notes of resources I want to remember. lol. This seems much more functional. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Popular Posts