LIBE 477 Inquiry Blog Post #5


An Inquiry Reflection 

Over the past few weeks, I was able to explore topics I wanted to learn more about, discover new ways to foster a reading culture within my school, learn about new opportunities for professional growth as well as ways to support my colleagues, all the while delving into a world of new knowledge and information found on social media, blogs, and through interactions with my peers. 
 
Fostering a reading culture has been a passion of mine for some time and I am always excited to learn new ideas and tools I can use in my library learning commons. 
TheBookWhisperer.com, n.d.
In a previous course, I was introduced to the text, Reading in the Wild: The Book Whisperer's Keys to Cultivating Lifelong Reading Habits, by Donalyn Miller and Susan Kelley. This book was a must have for me and motivated me to expand my learning in this area. During this inquiry week, I decided to search these authors and found several more books and articles as well as the blog, The Book Whisperer. This search also led me to other great articles that cited Donalyn Miller, and provided a wealth of ideas to promote a reading culture within the school. I also learned new ideas from my classmates' blogs, something I will miss tremendously when this course ends. As mentioned in a previous post, I can easily get lost in my research, but in many ways this journey is what makes inquiry so engaging, the ability to search one author or topic and through many twists and turns, emerge having discovered unexpected treasures and new perspectives.

One of the fears that keeps rearing its head as I near the end of the teacher librarianship diploma is the realization that I will soon be "on my own". What this inquiry experience reminded me, is that unless I isolate myself, I am not alone. Things will look different and I may be pushed out of my comfort zone from time to time, but there are vast educational opportunities and networks of support available as I continue my lifelong journey as a teacher librarian.
Image ID: 1543632293 (Shutterstock, n.d.)

Once I started digging, I was surprised at the amount of resources available. I have always thought of professional development in narrow terms, such as formal workshops, rather than discussions with colleagues or discovering new ideas on social media and blogs. I also found I unwittingly limited myself to my district's offerings, rarely exploring other workshops, webinars, or online opportunities. The greatest take away from my inquiry into professional development, both for myself and for staff, is that professional development can take many forms and can happen daily. Being open to ideas and spending some time each week proactively seeking out new learning is an effective strategy to stay current and informed. I still find myself a little fearful of leading others in their professional development, but this lesson certainly reduced those fears and enabled me to envision this role through a different lens. I no longer feel the pressure to always be the expert or teacher, but rather to facilitate learning opportunities by tapping into the expertise of others. A lot of this fear is due to my anxiety with public speaking (in front of my peers). As my confidence grows, I hope to be more active and efficient in this role. In the meantime, I may need to muster up some courage. A quote I came across recently has served as a good reminder:

“Be brave.....Or pretend to be. It’s all the same.” ― Kristin Hannah, The Four Winds

Image ID: 1308311953 (Shutterstock, n.d.)

When I think of my position, I think of myself as a teacher first and foremost, and while this is important when it comes to promoting the library learning commons and my role as an educator in supporting staff and students within the school community, it is important to realize that I am also a part of a community of librarians, and this field expands far beyond the school walls. Our last inquiry week reminded me of librarians' and libraries' significant impact in communities across the globe and inspired me to learn more about how libraries can influence change and positively affect peoples' well-being. 

References: 

Hannah, K. (2022). Four winds. Pan Books.

Miller, D., & Kelley, S. (2013). Reading in the wild : The book whisperer's keys to cultivating lifelong reading habits. John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated.

Shutterstock (2022). Image ID: 1543632293 [Image]. Shutterstock. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/man-woman-carry-each-other-big-1543632293

Shutterstock (2022).  Image ID: 1308311953 [Image]. Shutterstock.  https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/businesswoman-shadow-superhero-super-manager-leader-1308311953                 

Comments

Hi Rachelle, I too am occasionally daunted by the thought that I'll be done soon and off on "my own"! Your reminders are helpful, there will be our PLNs in place on twitter, blogs, youtube, etc., not to mention the colleagues at other libraries in the district that I hope to lean on when I need! Hopefully we can keep in touch on twitter!
Hi Rachelle,
Great post! I can relate with so many things you mentioned! I love the quote you shared as well, I am a master faker ha! I find as time goes on, speaking in front of my colleagues does get easier (ok, maybe just a tiny bit). I really appreciate how you reminded us that we don't need to be experts on everything but facilitators, there is a great wealth of experts out there and is so nice we can learn from them and ask them to share their knowledge with our colleagues.
I agree with Kate, hopefully we can all keep in touch on Twitter, now that I have finally managed to learn how to navigate it haha!

Karla
D.McNee said…
What an excellent synthesis of your learning from phase 2 of our course. Your work is thoughtful and reflective. These words resonated with me “... through many twists and turns, emerge having discovered unexpected treasures and new perspectives.” I feel this not only sums up phase 2 of our course but the inquiry process itself. Your insight about not being alone unless you isolate yourself was also spot on. There is a whole world of librarians willing to collaborate and share. Having that network of support is invaluable.
Jodi said…
Thanks for the recommendation of The Book Whisperer blog. That is a great resource with a lot of useful links. I haven’t read Reading in the Wild, but it is now on my list to check out!
I agree that there are so many more Pro-D opportunities offered out there when you look outside of the workshops of the district you are in. Some of the best learning I have done is just visiting other libraries and talking to my TL colleagues. Teacher Librarians are a great group, and I’ve always found them to be extremely open to sharing their tips and tricks!

Popular Posts